Wednesday, December 31, 2008
Tuesday, December 30, 2008
In order to keep my blog more streamlined, I have made a few small modifications to my blog(s). Most notably, I will be adding a new "Blogs of the Month" feature on Blogmania. Please note the following:
Blogmania is my personal blog where you can find out more about me, my interests, my family, etc. In addition you will find links to my constantly growing directory of other blogs - there are badges, a blog roll and directory to scroll and click through. Just remember to come back here!
Giveaways on other blogs are now posted at MB's Bloggy Sweeps. I will also be adding a Mr. Linky to capture new giveaways on a weekly basis.
Most of my own Giveaways and Product Reviews will now be posted at She Said it First.
BLOGS OF THE MONTH: Although it has been delayed for slightly over 3 months due to a move, settling in, schedules, travel, etc., I am finally ready to start sharing the bloggy love by highlighting other blogs. Please look out for for the featured "Blogs of the Month", relevant to that month's theme(s)
* I do not want to commit to a number of blogs to feature, so I decided against a blog of the month or a blog of the week. This will allow for flexibility in featuring blogs.
I made a difficult decision to change February's main theme to Friendship Month. I opted for a different theme than initially planned when I realized that I would be unable to honor all heritages properly and it would be unfair to focus on only one. I still intend to feature a notable blog/blogger in honor of Black History Month however. I feel that it is very important to do so, especially considering the recent inspiring and monumental US election of President Barack Obama.
February is Black History Month; March is Irish American Heritage Month; May is National Asian-Pacific American Month AND Jewish American Heritage Month, Mid Sept - mid October is National Hispanic Heritage Month AND German American Heritage Month, October is National Polish-American Heritage Month, October is ALSO National Italian Heritage Month and ALSO Filipino-American History Month, November is American Indian and Alaska Native Heritage Month.
January - Arts and Crafts, Baking/Cooking, Beading,
January is ALSO
- Cervical Health Awareness Month
- Clown Month
- Glaucoma Awareness Month
- Hot Tea Month
- Lose Weight Feel Great Month
- National Bath Safety Month
- National Birth Defects Prevention Month
- National Blood Donor Month
- National Braille Literacy Month
- National Crime Stoppers Month
- National Mentoring Month
- National Oatmeal Month
- National Pomegranate Month
- National Radon Action Month
- National Sign Up For Summer Camp Month
- National Slow Cooking Mont
- National Soup Month
- Thyroid Awareness Month
February - Friends - International Friendship Month. February is International Friendship month. In it's honor, I am featuring blogs/bloggers who have made enduring friendships through blogging.
February is ALSO
- American Heart Month
- African American History Month
- Bake For Family Fun Month
- Bird Feeding Month
- Black History Month
- Dental Health Month
- Library Lovers Month
- Canned Food Month
- Cat Health and Safety Month
- Chocolate Month
- Creative Romance Month
- Great American Pie Month
- National AMD / Low Vision Awareness Month
- National Bird Feeding Month
- National Cherry Month
- National Children's Dental Health Month
- National Grapefruit Month
- National Health Insurance Month
- National Prevent a Litter Month
- National Umbrella Month
- National Weddings Month
- National Wise Health Consumers Month
- National Women's Healthy Heart Campaign
- Pet Dental Health Month
- Potato Lovers Month
- Responsible Pet Owner Month
- Romantic Awareness Month
- Snack Food Month
March - Women - March is Women's History Month! In it's honor I am featuring notable women bloggers - those who have achieved goals, educated others, and/or focused on a worthy cause through blogging while helping other women do the same.
March is ALSO
- Cabaret Month
- Kidney Month
- Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month
- Music in Our Schools Month
- Noodle Month
- National Brain Injury Awareness Month
- National Colorectal Cancer Month
- National Craft Month
- National Endometriosis Month
- National Frozen Food Month
- National Humorists Are Artists Month
- National Irish American Heritage Month
- National Multiple Sclerosis Education and Awareness Month
- National Nutrition Month
- National Peanut Month
- National Poetry Month
- Peanut Butter Lovers Month
- Poison Prevention Awareness Month
- Red Cross Month
- Save your Vision Month
- Social Workers Month
- Workplace Eye Wellness Month
- Youth Art Month
April - Going Green! - April 22nd is Earth Day. I think the Earth deserves more than just a day in it's honor so April is unofficially Earth Month. Bloggers who embrace the going green philosophy and lifestyle will be asked to share their tips and tools of the trade to help all of us become a little more planet friendly.
April is ALSO
- Alcohol Awareness Month
- Cancer Control Month
- Cesarean Awareness Month
- Counseling Awareness Month
- Foot Health Awareness Month
- Guitar Month
- Hispanic Heritage Month
- Holocaust Remembrance Month
- IBS Awareness Month
- Jazz Appreciation Month
- Keep America Beautiful Month
- Mathematics Awareness Month
- National Autism Awareness Month
- National Card and Letter Writing Month
- National Child Abuse Prevention Month
- National Donate Life Month
- National Frog Month
- National Garden Month
- National Humor Month
- National Minority Health Awareness Month
- National Poetry Month
- National Youth Sporty Safety Month
- Occupational Therapy Month
- Sports Eye Safety Month
- STD Awareness Month
- Ultraviolet Awareness Month
May - Women's Health, Fitness and Nutrition - Ah, yes - we Americans like our themes, right? With so many categories to choose from this was a toughie but a decision had to be made. To honor National Physical Fitness and Sports Month, AND National Women's Health Month (in addition to the specific health related categories and the numerous foods of the month), Blogmania will feature blogs that focus on improving women's physical fitness AND nutrition.
* In addition, in honor of my dear friend Susan, I will be hosting a special event in support of Brain Tumor Awareness Month.
May is ALSO
- American Stroke Month
- Better Hearing and Speech Month
- Better Sleep Month
- Brain Tumor Awareness Month
- Clean Air Month
- Healthy Vision Month
- Electrical Safety Month
- Hepatitis C Awareness Month
- Jewish American Heritage Month
- Lupus Awareness Month
- Lyme Disease Awareness Month
- Melanoma Awareness Month
- Multiple Chemical Sensitivity Month
- Mental Health Month
- National Allergy and Asthma Awareness Month
- National Asparagus Month
- National Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Month
- National Arthritis Awareness Month
- National Asian-Pacific American Month
- National Barbecue Month
- National Bike Month
- National Blood Pressure Awareness Month
- National Cystic Fibrosis Awareness Month
- National Egg Month
- National Foster Care Month
- National Hamburger Month
- National Military Appreciation Month
- National Osteoporosis Month
- National Older Americans Month
- National Pickle Month
- National Photo Month
- National Salad Month
- National Salsa Month
- National Skin Cancer Awareness Month
- National Smile Month
- National Strawberry Month
- National Stroke Awareness Month
- National Teen Pregnancy Awareness Month
- National Tennis Month
- National Toss your Makeup Month
- Sturge-Weber Awareness Month
- Teacher Appreciation Month
- Tuberous Sclerosis Awareness Month
- Preservation Month
- Children's Book Week
June - Family and Safety - Featuring blogs participating in Home Safety Month and/or Student Safety Month with the intention of educate and motivate parents and educators to take actions to make schools and homes safer. June is also Family Month. Blogs dedicated to family life will also be featured!
June is ALSO
- Adopt a Cat month
- Black Music Month
- Celibacy Awareness Month
- Child Vision Awareness Month
- Children's Awareness Month
- Dairy Alternative Month
- Drive Safe Month
- Fireworks Safety Month
- Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Month
- Gay and Lesbian Pride Month
- International Childhood Cancer Campaign Month
- International Men's Month
- Myasthenia Gravis Awareness Month
- National Aphasia Awarenss Month
- National Candy Month
- National Dairy Month
- National Home Ownership Month
- National Iced Tea Month
- National Rivers Month
- National Rose Month
- National Soul Food Month
- National Steakhouse Month
- National Scleroderma Awareness Month
- National Scoliosis Awareness Month
- Potty Training Awareness Month
- Rebuild your Life Month
- Safety Month
- Sport America Kids Month
- Student Safety Month
- Turkey Lovers Month
- Vision Research Month
- World Infertility Month
- Zoo and Aquarium Month
If you have a blog or post that would be relevant in honoring or celebrating any of these, please add your name/blog/post to the monthly Mr. Linky.
July - Fun! July is National Anti Boredom Month! Someone PLEASE tell my kids this. I constantly hear "I am bored" so to beat those boredom blues, I will be featuring blogs that highlight family fun activities.
July is ALSO
- Hemochromatosis Screening Awareness Month
- International Group B Strep Awareness Month
- Juvenile Arthritis Awareness Month
- National Baked Bean Month
- National Blue Berry Month
- National Child-centered Divorce Month
- National Hot Dog Month
- National Ice Cream Month
- National Parks and Recreation Month
- National Sight Preservation Month
- National Watermelon Month
- Peach Month
- Read An Almanac Month
- UV Safety Month
August - Art - August is American Artist Appreciation Month. In it's honor, I will be featuring blogs of artists OR dedicated to the arts. This can be fine arts OR any other sort of art (fiber arts, beading, drawing, painting, sculpture, woodwork, etc.)
August is ALSO
- Catfish Month
- Children's Eye Health and Safety Month
- Eye Exam Month
- Foot Health Awareness Month
- National Cataract Awareness Month
- National Immunization Awareness Month
- National Inventors Month
- National Minority Donor Awareness Day
- Peach Month
- Psoriasis Awareness Month
- Romance Awareness Month
- Spinal Muscular Atrophy Awareness Month
- Water Quality Month
If you have a blog or post that would be relevant in honoring or celebrating any of these, please add your name/blog/post to the Mr. Linky for the month of August.
September - Frugal Living - September is National Coupon Month. Blogmania will feature blogs that focus on frugality, tips for saving money, increasing personal savings, etc.
September is ALSO:
- Baby Safety Month
- Be Kind to Editors & Writers Month
- National Chicken Month
- Childhood Cancer Awareness Month
- Children's Eye Health & Safety Month
- Children's Good Manners Month
- Classical Music Month
- Craniofacial Acceptance Month
- Ethnic Foods Month
- Fall Hat Month
- Fruit and Veggies - More Matters Month
- Healthy Aging Month
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Awareness Month
- Marriage Health Month
- National Alcohol and Drug Addiction Recovery Month
- National Campus Safety Awareness Month
- National Cholesterol Education Month
- National Food Education Safety
- National Hispanic Heritage Month
- National Honey Month
- National Infant Mortality Awareness Month
- National Mushroom Month
- National Pediculosis Prevention Month
- National Pepper Month
- National Preparedness Month
- National Rice Month
- National School Success Month
- National Sewing Month
- National Sickle Cell Month
- National Vegan Month
- National Yoga Month
- Organic Harvest Month
- Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month
- Prostate Cancer Awareness Month
- Reye’s Syndrome Awareness Month
- Save a Tiger Month
- Sports and Home Eye Safety Month
- Self Awareness Month
- Self- Improvement Month
- Southern Gospel Music Month
- Whole Grains Month
- Women of Achievement Month
October - Children's Health and Breast Cancer Awareness- to honor blogs that participate promoting participation in and education of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month or Children's Health Month.
October is ALSO
- Art Month
- Adopt A Dog Month
- Auto Battery Safety Month
- Car Care Month
- Caramel Month
- Clergy Appreciation Month
- Clock Month
- Computer Learning Month
- Cookie Month
- Cosmetology Month
- Country Music Month
- Crime Prevention Month
- Energy Awareness Month
- Eye Injury Prevention Month
- Filipino-American History Month
- Family History Month
- German-American Heritage Month
- Halloween Safety Month
- International Dinosaur Month
- Healthy Lung Month
- Learning Disability Awareness Month
- Let's Talk Month
- National Art and Framing Month
- National Book Month
- National Celiac Disease Awareness Month
- National Chiropractic Month
- National Dental Hygiene Month
- National Dessert Month
- National Disability Awareness Month
- National Domestic Violence Awareness Month
- National Down Syndrome Awareness Month
- National Family Health Month
- National Italian Heritage Month
- National Kitchen & Bath Month
- National Liver Awareness Month
- National Lupus Awareness Month
- National Medical Librarians Month
- National Pizza Month
- National Physical Therapy Month
- National Polish-American Heritage Month
- National Saracastics Awareness Month
- National Seafood Month
- National Spinal Health Month
- National Spina Bifida Awareness Month
- National Stamp Collecting Month
- National UNICEF Month
- Rollerskating Month
- Pasta Month
- Pickled Pepper Month
- Pregnancy & Infant Loss Awareness
- Pretzel Month
- SIDS Awareness Month
- Vegetarian Month
November - November is National Blog posting month! It will be hard to pick but I will select a few of my favorite blogs to feature this month.
November is ALSO:
- Aviation Month
- International Drum Month
- National Adoption Month
- National Alzheimer's Month
- National American Indian and Alaska Native Heritage Month
- National Blog Posting Month
- National Diabetes Month
- National Epilepsy Month
- National Family Caregivers Month
- National Flue Awareness Month
- National Homeless Youth Awareness Month
- National Hospice Month
- National Lung Cancer Awareness Month
- National Marrow Awarenss Month
- National Novel Writing Month
- National Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Month
- National Peanut Butter Lovers Month
- National Search and Rescue Month
- National Woodsmoke Awareness Month
If you have a blog or post that would be relevant in honoring or celebrating any of these, please add your name/blog/post to the montly Mr. Linky. Since November is ALSO National Blog Posting month, I invite you to add one of your favorite posts to the special "Favorite Posts Mister Linky".
December - Holiday Fun - Blogmania will showcase many blogs with special holiday events occurring on their sites. This includes giveaways, extravaganzas' shopping guides, etc. and is not limited to one blog per week.
December is also:
- National Fruitcake Month
- National Eggnog Month
- National Stress Free Family Holiday Month
- Safe Toys and Gifts Month
If you have a blog or post that would be relevant in honoring or celebrating any of these, please add your name/blog/post to the monthly Mr. Linky.
Saturday, December 27, 2008
An environmental disaster has occurred in the SE region of the US (TN) . The damages caused by the Exxon Valdez oil spill pale in comparison to this recent even ( a coal ash slide) according to environmental experts. Sounds harmless enough but the material contains toxins at high levels and is covering a massive area . This is a huge disaster with potential repercussions for years to come.
Friday, December 26, 2008
We had a quiet, pleasant birthday celebration at home yesterday. We did not buy a cake in advance and for some reason my husband convinced me not to bake one. (Hey, my cakes are GOOD!). All of us settled for ice cream and cookies.
Today we celebrated by going to the mall and spending some of our gift cards. Miss N. spent $40 on Webkins and an eye mask. Ah, to be 8.... I am much more frugal and am looking for sale stickers that say at least 70% off.
When I was visiting my friend in the midwest, My DH took the girlies out to dinner at their favorite place, Red Robin. He took this picture from his camera phone.
Monday, December 22, 2008
It cannot cripple love.
It cannot shatter hope.
It cannot corrode faith.
It cannot eat away peace.
It cannot destroy confidence.
It cannot kill friendship.
It cannot shut out memories.
It cannot silence courage.
It cannot reduce eternal life.
It cannot quench the Spirit.
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
We get home and the other drama started. One was hungry. Drama until her food was finished. One of the kids meals was missing a toy. Drama. One of the frostys was bigger than the other. Drama. All were tired. Drama.
After all the drama it was time for bed - baths will have to wait until tomorrow night. I started some laundry, straightened up and now I feel like I am about to collapse. And no more drama - just zzz's.
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
Monday, December 15, 2008
What did we bake?
- Waffles (yes again) - We replenished our supply and the freezer is now well stocked. This should tide us over for a week or two. These are SOOO much better than storebought frozen bagels. Plus 1 waffle does the trick for my kids. With the store bought ones, it takes 2 or 3 to satisfy their hungry tummies.
- Pizzelles - This was a work in progress. You can definitely tell which ones were the first in my batch and which ones were made after I got the swing of things. I froze a bunch - some for a pot luck at work later this week and a few more for when my parents come in next week. My dad loves these.
- And last but certainly not least, my famous Pumpkin Bread - Everyone loves this. My husband's boss kept harrassing him to have me bring in more so I have baked 4 batches this winter. I will post the recipe tomorrow. I have 2 that I use and both are fabu. Today I made a hybrid of both.
Sunday, December 14, 2008
Saturday, December 13, 2008
There are several great social networking sites "out there" (meaning on the internet). I have a myspace page (LOSTcentric), Facebook (to keep up with family and friends), linkedin (professional). I also have an account with theBlogFrog. What makes theBlogFrog different? Quite a few things......
TheBlogFrog turns your blog into a social blog. As a member of TheBlogFrog, you can install "Social Add-ons" to make your friends a part of your blog. TheBlogFrog is also a personal blog directory - you can find blogs by High School, College, Email, and more. TheBlogFrog will suggest bloggers you probably know, just by looking at your blog! It is also a great way for you to connect with other bloggers, as well as family and friends.
Want to find out more. Hop on over to check it out!
BigTent is partnering with Compass Life and Business Designs CEO and founder, Kimberly Fulcher, to offer a special “Get your act together for 2009″ promo. For any group leaders who start a group on or move to BigTent by December 31, Compass will provide a free one month membership ($19 value) to Compass Coaching Network, and all new group leaders will be entered in a grand prize drawing for a “Life Makeover” private coaching series ($1500 value). Groups must be of at least ten members.
Write a post on your blog about how you’re going to get your act together in 2009. Post anytime this weekend -December 12 to Sunday, December 14 - you must link to bigtent and parentbloggers:OK - so here are mine.....
New Years resolutions are made as we look to enrich our lives. Alas, these are often quickly made and quickly forgotten (at least my resolutions are). The best thing about a resolution though is the hint of lasting change.
Any milestone gives you a great stepping stone to assess your life, look for area of improvement and do it - 2009 brings me the big "40" thus now is the time to stick with those plans and resolutions. Life is short! I want to do so many things! Of course I will to continue on my journey of going green. I will also keep looking for activities that both the girls and I enjoy to give us more quality time together.
Travel is on the agenda - I plan to make it home over the summer to spend time with my family. My 40th will be spent in Vegas.
The old "lose weight" and "quit smoking" are sure to make the list. (Realistically, I am not even going to attempt adding working out). I also want to try new things - learn how to cook new foods, take up soapmaking, volunteer at the food bank, decorate my home or write a book. I am very organized at home (to the point where things are color coded and labeled) but my days are very unorganized and chaotic. I want to streamline my life - take better notes, keep appointments, remember simple things. I also would LOVE to open an ETSY shop - selling my artwork, beadwork and craft of the day (I am fickle so this changes frequently). Designmom had a post on how to make your own vanilla extract and vanilla sugar. Of course I want to try that too.
This time next year I will be doing a pulse check. Hopefully some resolutions will be kept and shared. If not, there is always 2010 and 41.....
Tuesday, December 09, 2008
Miss E., I am so glad you came into our lives. When I found out you were coming, I was embarrassingly less than thrilled. Not that we did not want you, just that we were not quite ready for you. After you were born, it took me longer to bond with you than with your sisters. I was overwhelmed with a HIGHLY active 7 year old and a toddler, not yet even 2. Slowly I realized that you were our biggest blessing - you completed our family and put a smile on our faces every day.
I love all of you girls equally, but you are the one that is most like me. You love reading, games, puzzles, cleaning, anything girlie and think you know the best way to do everything (even if you are wrong). Ah, yes, you are just like your mom. Routine, structure and the expected rule your life, but you can embrace change with a little convincing.
You may drive Miss N. and Miss C. crazy, but they love you too. Hey, it is your job to be an annoying little sister (x2!) As much as we are alike, you are first and foremost a daddy's girl. It is a bittersweet joy to see that you have him wrapped around your finger I am perched right up there with him.
Miss E., you crack us up with your expressions, responses, and musings on day to day life. When I need help around the house, you are the first to volunteer. When you have one piece of candy left, you offer it to whomever you are with. You rarely ask for anything and appreciate everything you are given. I hope life gives you as much as you give everyone else. Love you sweetie!