In the Glamour of Grammar, author Roy Clark describes the correlation between the two. What Strunk did for writing structure in The Elements for Style, Roy Peter Clark, is doing in The Glamour of Grammar. I am not the first writer to notice this - in looking over reviews on other blogs, or publications, the common consensus is that The Glamour of Grammar is a more modern guide to writing effectively compared to classic books on this subject. Just like The Elements of Style, The Glamour of Grammar is destined to be the required text in many English classrooms.
Clark, also the author of Writing Tools, strives to put the glamour back in grammar by making writing fun. Here are just some of my take-aways from the book:
- The importance of using proper language when writing.
- Useful tips to improve your writing style
- what techniques and practices effective writers use consistently
- Tell your story. Make it interesting. Make it descriptive. Make it fun!
I look forward to referring to this book often. This would be a great gift for the aspiring writer or anyone just interesting in perfecting their writing skills. Also, with so many kids using "text talk" this would a godsend to helping understand the intricacies of the English language.
For your chance to win a copy, simply make sure that you are a follower and share what writing techniques you use or why you would want to win this book. There will be 3 winners.
Find more information at http://www.hachettebookgroup.
1 extra entry for following in twitter @misaacmom and tweeting. Please submit a separate comment for each entry.
Good luck and thanks for visiting!
- You must be a follower in order to win!
- Winner will be selected via random.org or randomizer
- Winner will be contacted by email and respond within 48 hours from notification or another winner will be selected.
- One main entry per person
- Residents of the U.S. are eligible win
- No P.O. Boxes, please
- Must be 18 or older
- Winner is responsible for taxes, if applicable
- Sponsor is responsible for prize fulfillment
- Giveaway ends 10/09/2010
This post was written for Hachette Book Group who provided the complimentary product for review and giveaway in exchange for my honest opinions. For more information on this blog and my posting practices, please refer to the disclosure policy below.